Monday, October 20, 2008

What Would I Do Without Jord??

Be a CRAZY out of control mother!! I think this may need a little explanation. Sundays are our "sleep in day"...well, if you're over 36 that is...and you call 8:48AM sleeping in. I wake up to Luke crying AGAIN! It's not enough that we are still having problems with our smoke alarms and they go off every night at 3 AM. So, I pull the covers up and ignore it. 2 minutes later it happens again. I get out of bed and go downstairs. If I had a picture it would not do the scene justice...plus my kids got to see the "getting out of the wrong side of the bed Mom, the didn't get enough sleep Mom, the I'm going to do something to my kids - but don't-because I'll regret it later Mom, The Ugly NEVER want to see that Mom again Mom!" There were grape nuts EVERYWHERE!!! OK, I need to relax. It's something that can be cleaned up, right? Then I move over to the front room and I see an orange crayon on the sofa. I asked whose it was and neither Bella or Luke could give me a consistent answer. So we mix lying into the morning pot. This is totally unacceptable in our home so I start yelling. I just went crazy on my kids. After about 2 minutes of really casting the Sunday Spirit as far away as possible, I look down and Luke is crying. I knew he was the culprit of both of the messes. I actually failed to mention that the orange crayon was used to make an abstract art piece on our wall (the one that took Jordan 3 hours to paint). I told the kids to start cleaning up the messes, knowing full well that a 3 1/2 year old could not really clean up the mess he had made and that I was the one going to end up cleaning it all. Isn't this what parenting is all about? I ran back upstairs to our bedroom feeling like crap because I had really done something unacceptable myself! I'm sure Jordan had heard the ruckus going on...and I was still really HOT! I crawled up next to him and started crying and told him what happened. This is the part where I can't live without my wonderful husband. He calmed me down and we talked civilly to each other. Just exactly like I should have done with my children. After talking for a good 10 minutes...(actually him holding me and his arm soaked of my tears) We hear a knock at the door. Luke came in and through many tears said, "Mom Dad I was the one who made the mark on the wall. I'm really sorry. I hope I won't get a spank'in." Jord & I have tried really hard not to give spankings. Jordan said this one might warrant a spanking seeing as how he just told him the night before not to write on any of the furniture. This was before he came in and was brave enough to face THE UGLY MAMA & Dad to tell us the truth. I asked him if he put away the vacuum cleaner. He said, "no." So I told him to go put it away and come back up. I start crying even more because our small son was brave enough to come tell us the truth. Jordan said that he didn't think a spank was necessary and that we should focus on what positive came out of this situation instead of the negative. Hello. where is husband??? Where did that come from? And so as fast as the Spirit disappeared, it returned. We had a nice little talk with him and I also learned from my hubbie that disciplining children doesn't have to draw the Spirit away. Especially on SUNDAY morning before the Primary Church Program. Luke ended up getting his privileges taken away for the next 2 days...but I'm pretty sure that he knows that we still love him and hopefully this will open the door for when he needs to talk with us in the future, whether it be telling the truth or just talking. I feel so blessed to have Jordan in my life!! He knows how to calm me down and gives me the peace that I so desperately need for this blessing called MOTHERHOOD!! By the way, thank goodness for other siblings who feel bad for "the naughty" and help clean up so you really don't have to much cleaning up after all. Thank you Bella. What a wonderful sister you are to Luca luke!

1 comment:

arah said...

Boy, don't we ALL have days like this?